Thursday, July 28, 2011

Fresh Rosemary & Sage Beef Tenderloin

Tonight I massaged a raw tenderloin.  That's right.  I said it.  But friends, this recipe was totally worth the few minutes spent prodding and juggling the fleshy weight of the beef.  In the words of my husband, Jeremy: "This roast beast is delicious!".  I absolutely agree.  And I'm not lying, it's super easy.

I borrowed the bulk of the recipe from a little website I happen to love, called Our Life in the Kitchen.  Since the directions and accompanying pictures on the Our Life in the Kitchen Rosemary Garlic Roast Beef Recipe are fabulous, I will only add my own little adjustments made mostly because shoot, I like to cook with what I have, not with what I can buy in a manic internet-fed bender in whole foods.

For one, in lieu of roast, I used a beef tenderloin that has been sitting in my freezer since my Mom was last in town.  Also, since I did not have cooking twine handy (do many people?) and I was afraid of having a Bridget Jones moment should I venture to MacGyver something, I chose to instead slice some superficial slits in the bottom and top of the tenderloin and just kind of wedge the rosemary sprigs in there, along with the crushed garlic and a few fresh clipping of sage from the garden (because why not, right?).  It will probably come as no surprise to you that I also do not own a meat thermometer or a roaster.  No problem.  I just drizzled a tiny bit of EVO on the bottom of a glass baking dish and let it slow cook for about an hour and a half at 350 degrees and voila. . .delicious!  

Caution: I always forget this but roasts and loins and other chunks of floppy flesh like to continue to cook even when out of the oven.  So when you check your meat and it looks slightly underdone, that's the best time to take it out and let it sit for a few.

Hope you try it and if you do, let me know how it goes and any little twists you added.


If you enjoyed this post, don't forget that you can subscribe to receive email updates with new posts from Jesstimonials by typing your address into the Feedburner box in the top right hand corner of my blog.  Mahalo!

No comments: