Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The castration of a carrot

Every morning after breakfast Siena and I like to go examine our garden to see what grew overnight. Inevitably, as we near the bed with the carrots, she asks if we can pull one up.  Can I get her to eat the carrots I lovingly prepare and serve her on her plate?  No way.  Apparently this in no way compares to the delight of unearthing a carrot, washing it off and gnawing away.  And so our carrots lie in wait for our morning walk.

I love my garden but am not really a gardener so I am never alarmed to discover that while some of our carrots come out frail and pinky-sized, others have grown so thick and deep that they break off in the soil when we pull, leaving a femur-sized nub for Siena to nibble.  She doesn't seem to mind.  Today, however, was a little weird even for Siena.  It was, for me, the giggle of my morning.

Here is what our garden had to offer us.


Yes, that's right.  I totally agree.  That's what I thought too.  Even Siena knew something was amiss with the first carrot (the one on the left) so at her insistence (and suppressing a giggle), I agreed to pull up another.  The second one is even better, don't you agree?  Ah Mother Nature, thanks for the chuckle. . .and the awkwardness that accompanied the necessary castration of my daughter's carrots.


If you enjoyed this post, don't forget that you can subscribe to receive email updates with new posts from Jesstimonials by typing your address into the Feedburner box in the top right hand corner of my blog.  Mahalo!

No comments: