Monday, August 22, 2011

What the heck do I do with this leftover watermelon? Part Deux (A.K.A. Grilled Watermelon Salad)


Okay so here is what I am learning:
1) I have been denying all of my watermelons all of these years the chance to live up to their full potential.
2) Sweet and salty is freaking fantastic.

Turns out that watermelon is pretty amazing, especially when paired with something savory and salty.  Still basking in the whopping success of last night's adventures with Tomato, Watermelon & Feta Salad, I set off today to finish off that last 1/4 of a watermelon.  This one was a straight up recipe road test thanks to The Recipe Girl and her amazingly easy Grilled Watermelon Salad recipe.  (Be sure to check out the link to see her amazing presentation!)  That's right---grilled.  Makes sense when you think about it.  Watermelon is to summer barbecue what cranberries are to Thanksgiving. And so I imagine someone somewhere had a couple of cold ones, was a little bored flipping the burgers and thought "Why not?".  Pure culinary genius.



Generously brushed with EVOO and salt and pepper, these slices were delicious right off the grill (just a few minutes on each side) .  Topped with a layer of feta and arugula tossed with balsamic, however, this recipe adds spicy notes to the already dynamic duo of sweet watermelon and salty goodness.  With the blush of the watermelon, the white of the cheese and the rich green of the arugula, this dish is also particularly pretty on the plate.  Not exactly a portable potluck go-to but definitely a fun way to kick off a summer dinner party.

I did it!  Twenty slices and two new recipe adventures later and my ENORMOUS watermelon has been put to good use.  I salute you, oh magnificent superfood and all of your yummy potential.  Who knew?  Unfortunately, writing this has given me a bit of a hankering for some watermelon. . .


If you enjoyed this post, don't forget that you can subscribe to receive email updates with new posts from Jesstimonials by typing your address into the Feedburner box in the top right hand corner of my blog.  Mahalo!

No comments: