Thursday, September 22, 2011

Tasty Bites: Almond Flour Pancakes


I am the person who will talk to you in the grocery line.  I just can't resist.  If you are buying something interesting, I want to know what you do with it.  It's honestly not all that more awkward than standing next to each other in silence pretending not to read the Enquirer titles.

So the other day when I saw the person in front of me piling no fewer than five bags of almond flour onto the conveyor, I had to ask.  It turns out that in lieu of gluten, she uses almond flour in just about everything---cakes, breads and. . .pancakes!  Cue the light bulb.  I was immediately smitten and planning our next pancake breakfast.  Why did I not think of this sooner?  In an effort to create a low carb dessert, Jeremy has perfected some almond flour pie crusts (which, incidentally, are totally yummy) but that's about as far as we took it.  Almond flour pancakes packed with healthy fats and protein. . .now that is something to get excited about.

An internet search yielded a variety of recipe choices so, as usual, I created a little hybrid:

Ingredients:
1 cup almond flour
2 eggs
1/4 cup water
2 T oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 T agave nectar or honey
splash of vanilla
dash of cinnamon

Mix all of the ingredients together, heat and grease a griddle and have at it.  I tripled the recipe so we could have leftovers and because one batch only made abut 6 small pancakes.  Turns out, however, that these are super filling (go figure since they are basically all protein) so keep that in mind.

Additional tips: 
  1. Keep the pancakes small because as they get larger, they start to fall apart.
  2. They won't bubble on the top like ordinary pancakes so keep an eye on them and flip when the edges look like they are starting to cook.
  3. We ate these the old-fashioned way with pure maple syrup but because they are so dense and nutty, I am definitely thinking of making some fruity topping for the next go-round, something tart and slightly sweet to play off of the salty savoriness of the nut.

Thank you, oh wonderful stranger-with-gluten-allergy-in-the-checkout-line for serendipitously going to Trader Joes on the same night as me. . .and for sharing your culinary wisdom rather than telling me to mind my own business.

Any other friends out there with almond flour recipes to share?


If you enjoyed this post, don't forget that you can subscribe to receive email updates with new posts from Jesstimonials by typing your address into the Feedburner box in the top right hand corner of my blog.

No comments: