Monday, September 19, 2011

Just a Little Tipsy: A vitamin checklist


I am the mother who bought all organic produce and pureed all of my baby's food for the first year.  I sent her to daycare with her little bag of lunch food because I didn't want her eating anything of uncertain origin.  Then Siena turned one and simultaneously discovered that 1) she did not want to eat most of what I made and 2) she didn't have to.  Ack!  The first in a string of lessons in letting go was realizing that I would no longer be in complete control over what she ate, that I would need to learn to let the kid have a fruit snack now and then and that I needed to shift my gaze from every bite to the bigger picture.  Having spoken with Siena's pediatrician at length over what vitamins my little toddler required, he suggested that instead of stressing about getting her every vitamin every day that I should think of the vitamin requirements over the course of the week.

And this is when I developed one of my favorite little Mommy tools: A vitamin checklist.  Adapted from a list of vitamins (and corresponding foods) toddlers require found in the Williams-Sonoma Cooking for Baby Cookbook, I made myself a little checklist, laminated it and stuck it to the fridge.  Each week, I use a dry-erase marker to check off food items in each vitamin category and monitor what hasn't been taken care of yet.  In this way, I am able to incrementally chip away and even with a busy schedule, can quickly assess what she has been eating a lot of and what she still needs.  Hurray for the little things!

I am happy to share if anyone is interested in a copy.  :)  Just post a comment with your email address and I'll send it along to you.


If you enjoyed this post, don't forget that you can subscribe to receive email updates with new posts from Jesstimonials by typing your address into the Feedburner box in the top right hand corner of my blog.

No comments: