Sunday, September 18, 2011

Nutritious Cookies Take 2 (AKA Yum!)



For those of you who haven't been following, I am in hot pursuit of a recipe for nutritious cookies that I can feel good about feeding my family and still actually want to eat.  Last week's first attempt at making the Runner's Kitchen recipe for "Best vegan cookies. . .ever!" was kind of a debacle, mostly due to the disastrous choice to use 100% cacao in the hopes that the other sugar (which I felt was a bit high already) in the recipe would compensate.  Not so, as evidenced by the sad words of my 3-yr-old daughter, Siena: "Mommy, this chocolate tastes bad".  Epic fail.

Anyhow, this weekend I'm back on the saddle and Siena is ready for another tasting, brave little one that she is.  I chose to return to the same recipe, only this time with a few important changes:

  1. I used 85% cacao instead of the 100%.
  2. I was careful to chop the 1/2 chocolate bar into smaller pieces (about the size of a peanut) so that they could better blend with the other ingredients.
  3. I substituted agave nectar for a hefty portion of the sugar.  Instead of 3/4 cup white sugar and 1/4 cup brown sugar, I used 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup agave nectar (which is the baking equivalent of 1/2 cup of sugar).  In addition to all of the benefits that come with using a lower glycemic sugar, the agave nectar also resulted in a much creamier batter that held together nicely and tasted almost exactly like regular cookie batter. . .a good sign!
Good News: I was nervous when I pulled them out of the oven because they were a bit soft and jiggly but once I let them set for a few, they hardened up into crunchy salty-sweet yumminess.  With ingredients like flax seed, whole wheat flour, hazelnuts, oats and Earth Balance, eating them was made all the more sweet because they actually pack a nutritional kick.  Score!  And, this time, they are kiddo approved.
Do you see the fear in her eyes?  Poor thing. 
Aw, I love this cookie for not making me want to wipe my tongue.
Bad News: Thanks to friends and the magic of the internet, I am now armed with a slew of nutritious cookie recipes that I can't resist trying, which means the adventure continues.  Brace yourself kiddo, mommy's going back in the kitchen. . .and this next time your cookies may just have chickpeas in them.


If you enjoyed this post, don't forget that you can subscribe to receive email updates with new posts from Jesstimonials by typing your address into the Feedburner box in the top right hand corner of my blog.

No comments: