Friday, January 13, 2012

Just a little tipsy: Eggs for dinner (gasp) and poached eggs in a muffin tin


It sounds a little snobby but I'll admit it: I enjoy a good poached egg.  I mean eggs benedict. . .come on, that right there is straight up deliciousness.  It is breakfast royalty and I am a willing subject.  When scrounging through my refrigerator for the makings of a fast-approaching and forgotten dinner, however, I too often overlook the eggs. Why is that? Why have eggs been so disenfranchised? Nothing magical happens between the hours of 10 and 5 to make them less tasty. In fact, I would argue that eggs are even more fabulous in the evening because they are so darn easy.  Fancy is good on a Friday or a Saturday but nothing tastes better than easy on a Wednesday.

And so this brings me back to the fabulousness of the poached egg. It is the perfect topper to a thrown together whatever's-in-the-fridge salad. A little something warm and creamy to make you feel like you at least made some semblance of an effort. Poaching at home, however, has always been a straight up debacle for me. Many an egg and a temper have been lost in my clumsy attempts at poaching---dropping an egg into a hand-stirred tornado of hot water. . .are you kidding me?.  Enter muffin tin.  That's right---muffin tin.  Not only am I serving breakfast with dinner but now I'm using baking utensils for poaching.  Booyah!  Am I blowing your mind yet?

Instructions
  1. Put water on to boil and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Butter, oil, or spray the inside of the muffin tin. (Do you like my fancy disposable one? I didn't have a casserole big enough for my actual muffin tin.)
  3. Drop an egg in each.
  4. Place the whole muffin tin in the casserole dish.
  5. When water is boiling, pour into the casserole dish (around the muffin tin) until the water is about 1" deep.
  6. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until eggs are firm.
  7. Scoop out your eggs and serve on your receptacle of choice. . .salad, pasta, toast.  Enjoy!


Served here as an addition to our standby goat cheese salad.
A question for my lovely readers:
I would love to learn new ways to use eggs for dinner, poached or otherwise.  What are some of the ways you enjoy eggs for dinner?  Let's get a recipe chain going in the comments section to help us all think outside the carton. ;)


If you enjoyed this post, don't forget that you can subscribe to receive email updates with new posts from Jesstimonials by typing your address into the Feedburner box in the top right hand corner of my blog.

6 comments:

Megan C., Writing Instructor said...

Hey Jess! Funny you should write this today, since last night we had our old standby for dinner: Breakfast Burritos (or as it's come to be known over the years, B.B.'s). We picked up the tradition while living in Santa Fe. Slice up and fry a potato-- season with cumin, chile powder, seasoning salt, etc. Scramble some eggs (which are fluffier and more delicious if you spike them with a little sour cream or plain yogurt). Shred some cheddar or pepper jack. Heat up some tortillas. Compile.

You can get funky with the fixins: avocado, sour cream, salsa, hot sauce, cilantro, or even saute cabbage (squash, corn, whatever) instead of or in addition to potato, but the above is the basic formula.

heather said...

This is a good one, and pretty easy: http://smittenkitchen.com/2010/04/shakshuka/

magpete said...

We make individual quiches for dinner or brunch and you can put whatever you want in each one. Son age 8 eats pepperoni, mozzarella, olive and tomato. Daughter eats ham, havarti with dill and onion (if she doesn't know there are onions in it) My husband and I like a swiss, hot sausage and spinach with red pepper and nutmeg. It is not low cal, but one little one is not so bad if you focus on the spinach and forget about the pie-crust, cheese and sausage aspect of it.

The only real recipe part is:
Spray each well in a muffin tin. Line each well in the muffin tin with thin rolled out pie crusts, cut with a pint glass works well for size (I'd say store bought but the regular store refrigerated pie crusts are filled with trans fats and preservatives so Whole Foods sells a frozen kind that you can roll out that is good and has only the traditional four ingredients)
Fill with veggies, cooked meat and about a tablespoon of cheese per pie, cheese on top
Mix one egg and about 1/8th of a cup of milk for each pie. Season separately according to the mixture - the pepperoni gets typical italien seasonings, the ham gets dill and pepper and the spinich gets red pepper flake (depending on the sausage) and nutmeg.
Bake for 15-20 at 350 until cheese is beginning to turn golden brown top.

Jessica DeMink-Carthew said...

Okay this looks amazing! Definitely going to try it out, if for no other reason than I want an excuse to say shakshuka several times...so fun! Looks pretty easy too, which is a major bonus. How would you rate its spiciness?

Jessica DeMink-Carthew said...

Maggie! Mahalo so much for sharing! I was so excited to see that you gals posted. :) I love any little dishes you can personalize like this since it tends to sell really well with the kiddos and picky eaters. The sausage, spinach, red pepper, and nutmeg sounds like a winner. Do you serve anything with the quiches?

Jessica DeMink-Carthew said...

LOVE this! Sounds super easy and flavorful, exactly what I want when I am resorting to eggs for dinner. The fact that you can switch out so many ingredients and experiment with fun fixins is a sure sign that I will lean on this last minute recipe heavily, particularly when I have some randomness in the fridge to use up. Do you have a favorite tortilla? Thanks for reading and for sharing!