Sunday, January 8, 2012

Tasty Bites: Chocolate and white chocolate chip ricotta fritters (Last course of our New Year's Eve Decadence)


The day before New Year's Eve, I happened upon this video of Fabio Viviani (from Top Chef) making a very simple and very tempting combo of chocolate chip ricotta fritters served with a raspberry prosecco cocktail. Yes please! You know I had to whip up a batch just to practice, right? Oh and then one to refine. And then one round to share with a friend too. Take it from me---this recipe is inexpensive, delicious, easy. . .and apparently hazardous. If you are not a seasoned fryer, exercise caution! My first batch resulted in a small stovetop fire and a large mess. Hot oil is dangerous (an obvious fact I somehow overlooked) so keep the baking soda on hand and remember that the oil will bubble and spatter when you throw in something to fry so you should use a deep enough saucepan to prevent spatters from hitting the burner. Oh and wear an apron to protect your favorite cooking pants!

Despite the risk and steep learning curve, however, these yummies are as scrumptious as they are simple. I strongly recommend watching Fabio's short video for the demonstration (and the silliness) but since it does not provide exact measurements and I find ingredients such as "some egg" to be a bit too vague for my taste, here is my tried and tested version:

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb. part-skim ricotta
  • 2 eggs whipped with a fork until blended
  • 5 Tb flour (I used white whole wheat but I am sure any would work)
  • As many chocolate chips and white chocolate chips as you see fit (I think I did 1/2 cup of each)
  • Sugar for sprinkling
  • Oil for frying (light olive oil or canola works great)
Instructions:
  1. Heat oil over medium high heat until a drop of water plunked in the center sizzles in the oil.
  2. Blend first four ingredients together in a bowl.
  3. Form spoon-fulls into a makeshift quenelle and fry in oil 3-4 at a time until they are golden brown.
  4. Let rest on paper toweled plate to catch excess oil.
  5. Roll or sprinkle all fritters in sugar.
  6. Eat and enjoy!
Yummy when served with. . .
Fresh strawberries and/or if you are feeling festive, try the recommended prosecco cocktail or throw a few sliced strawberries in your champagne (as pictured below).


Twists:
This also makes a yummy appetizer if you swap out the chocolate chips for chopped ham or olives and serve with a marinara dipping sauce.


If you enjoyed this post, don't forget that you can subscribe to receive email updates with new posts from Jesstimonials by typing your address into the Feedburner box in the top right hand corner of my blog.

No comments: